Starting May 1, 2011, the Central Organization for Standardization and Quality Control (COSQC) has implemented the Pre-Importation Inspection, Testing, and certification of Goods into Iraq (ICIGI), relative to the COSQC Law No. 54 of 1979 (Article 3/Clause 8).
Under this programme, COSQC requires that regulated imported products whose standard specifications were declared compulsory under the provisions of COSQC Act 1983 are to be inspected for conformity to the relevant Iraqi standards and technical requirements.
SGS Société Générale de Surveillance S.A and Bureau Veritas have been appointed to implement the scheme.
This scheme was put in place by COSQC in order to:
- To protect its consumers, producers, environment, public safety, national economy, from using substandard product and;
- To restrict importation of inferior, debased and fake goods.
The category of products that are subject to this legislation include:
- Food and agricultural products
- Chemical and household products
- Construction-related materials
- Consumer items
- Toys and childcare products
- Electrical and electronic products
- Vehicles and spareparts
For a more comprehensive list, please click here.