Iraq’s National Investment Commission (NIC) has issued details of a proposed new monorail transport system for the city of Karbala.
- Project Name: Karbala Monorail
- General Specifications: Concrete monorail train that goes 6 meters above the medium sideway.
- Length of the preliminary line:
- Length of the operating lines: 15 KM
- The second and third phases to be agreed upon later.
- The first phase line length shall cover the visitors city / Baghdad road, Baghdad Gate street, Baghdad gate for the two holy shrines, Al- Hussain Bridge, Twereege Gate street, Hor Al- Seeb train station, the new Janoob garage, KarbalaUniversity, Al-Ibrahemia
- Stations: between 10 and 15
- The normal station sideway length is 70 Meter with escalators and lifts for the disabled on the two sides of the station.
- Main stations of the start and end and other substations.
- Maximum speed: 80-90 KM/H
- Curves not to exceed 60 meters radius.
- The capacity of each carriage of the train is not less than 300 passengers.
- The successive coming of the trains to the station must take (1,5-2 M) in the two directions.
- The train must manage dealing with the current city bridges and to develop the designs of the future bridges to suit the flow path of the train line.
- The line can be developed later to cover other area like Al- Hur and other important areas with 15 KM length.
- The project shall guarantee transporting visitors during the big processions with transport capacity that reaches 500,000 passenger/day in the two directions.
(Source: National Investment Commission)