Foreign Minister Zebari Denies Kuwaiti Bribes

Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari denied allegations that he or his ministry had been bribed by Kuwait in order to settle the dispute over Kuwait’s new Mubarak Port, according to a report from AKnews.

Although Zebari stated that these allegations would not deserve a response, he labeled the allegations as “fabricated” and “defamatory”.

“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is not engaged in bribery,” he said. “And we began proceedings today to prosecute every person who says that.”

Zebari added that the Mubarak Port was not discussed when an Iraqi delegation recently visited Kuwait. Allegedly, the talks had just been over “other outstanding issues with Kuwait,” said Zebari.

The parliamentary Integrity Committee had revealed on Sunday that it had information that the technical delegation from the Ministries of Transport and Foreign Affairs that visited Kuwait to examine the construction of Mubarak Port received gifts from Kuwait.

In early September, the Minister was quoted as saying that the dispute with Kuwait was resolved.

(Sources: AKnews, Al Sumaria News)

Comments are closed.