IBN Welcomes Good News on Iraqi Visas

By Padraig O’Hannelly.

Foreign companies, especially in the oil sector, have long complained of problems obtaining visas to work in Iraq, and it’s an issue that Iraq Business News has highlighted many times in the past.

This is particularly frustrating for businesses that need to deploy specialised personnel to help develop Iraq and get it back on its feet.

It was good news, then, that the authorities in Baghdad have decided to facilitate the granting of multiple-entry visas for “foreign investors, investment companies, businessmen, experts and workers“.

Exactly to what extent this will make it easier in practice remains to be seen, but if this is a genuine attempt to smooth the operation of business in Iraq then it is to be welcomed.

If you’ve experienced difficulties getting a visa to work in Iraq, or indeed if you’ve found it to be simple and straightforward, please tell us about it in the Comments section below.

Upper Quartile and AAIB are the ideal partners to guide your business through the complexities of Iraqi life. For more information please contact Gavin Jones or Adrian Shaw.

Tags:

15 Responses to IBN Welcomes Good News on Iraqi Visas

1. Saif Altiman May 30, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

Personally, we never found any issues with visas and were always able to support our clients needs by producing all the visas for them. Its a matter of a legal loophole

2. Peter Williams May 30, 2013 at 1:08 pm #

Being a Technical Advisor in the Demining Industry for many years I have found the last few years extremely difficult to get a Visa for coming to Basra for Work. The delays have actually cost me 3 jobs whilst the prospective company attempts to get a multi entry visa. Yet go up to Kurdistan and you have a 1 year Residency Visa within 10 Days.
    What a contrast and what a shame for those companies and personnel trying to assist the Iraqi Authorities clear there land of ERW and other dangerous items.

3. Ali Karajeh May 30, 2013 at 1:09 pm #

Dears.
    Thank you for the article above..

in fact recently we faced problems in granting Jordanian HSE trainers through Basra Businessmen Union to lunch an important training course for Iraqi trainees.

this issue made us postponed the course 3 times and we still trying to find way out for this problem that facing our business in iraq.

if you can help in this it will be appreciated.

4. Ali Mahmoud May 30, 2013 at 1:48 pm #

All countries in the region have foreign workers that are able to apply and obtain residency status. For some bizarre reason, this concept is not available in Iraq (with the exception of Kurdistan who have figured it out).

There should be one-stop shops that issue these Residency visas that allow multiple entry and exit (bizarrely again these are treated as separate permits). These units should deal directly with the Oil & Gas companies and hopefully cut-out the possibility of delay and middle men who try to charge exorbitant fees.

5. kanishka May 30, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

I am apply avisa ,and i am still wating 45 days, in uae, i need your recomendation.

6. George May 31, 2013 at 5:24 am #

My company and others I work with have found the visa process abyssmal. We have workers who we’ve applied for multi-entry visas back in January of 2013 and have yet to get the visas. The Iraqi government is a joke. Tell Sharistani to “Show me, don’t tell me”. In other words, lets see some action where visas can be gotten in 4 weeks not 5 months. We have had to postpone and delay works that would contribute to the betterment of Iraqi society, but the sole reason for the delay is the incompetence of the Iraqi government.

7. S S Karikalan June 1, 2013 at 8:37 am #

It looks like there is no regulation or a policy how one can get a VISA to Iraq. I was in the process for obtaining a VISA to Iraq for more than 8-10 months. Living in Chennai in India have Visited to New Delhi (3 Hours by Flight) to find the procedure and visited chamber of Commerce, Authorized medical center issuing medical certificates, Authorized travel agents, Indian Mission in Bagdad and every one is clue less or the procedure they say is a simple not Possible getting a invitation from Local Iraqi authority.

It is interesting to see that the system is simplified but still I did not see what is the procedure. I am interested to establish a pipe manufacturing facility there in Basra or in Bagdad what I do in India.

Please help and advise me how one can get a Visa to Iraq.

Karikalan

8. David Mitchell June 3, 2013 at 9:55 am #

While I haven’t been in Iraq since 2011 I found little difficulty in acquiring multiple-entry visas for Iraq (and Basra) during the period I was working there. Of the four multiple-entty visas I acquired three were collected at Basrah International Airport and the last one was a one year multiple entry visa. I can also say that I found the arrangements for blood testing at the DG for Health in Basra uncomplicated with the medical staff there being welcoming and efficient.

9. S S Karikalan June 3, 2013 at 12:30 pm #

On arrival at any of the Ports in Iraq is available for few country Citizens only such as US, UK and EU. For Indians such as me still I am clueless how canI get one.

10. Warren June 6, 2013 at 12:42 pm #

We have set-up an English language and computer training center in Basra. Now, we have problems in getting a work visa for our teachers for English. We are a Filipino company and we need help.

Thank you.

11. oilworker June 25, 2013 at 5:37 pm #

Hi ,
    I have a valid multi entry Iraqi visa valid upto april, 2014. I am trying to switch my emlpyer. How it is possible to cancel my Visa & apply for new visa . My current employer is not very clear about how to cancell visa . So that I can apply for new visa, otherwise I am stuck for many wonth with same company. any advice.

12. lionel October 26, 2013 at 9:07 am #

Hi guys where can I do an enquiry about my multi entry visa for Irak. Somebody help I need the job.Is their maybe an email adress.

13. sudeep November 6, 2013 at 6:46 am #

Dear sir,
    I am from India.I have got one job opertunity In iraqe and I am accepted that offer.and I am waiting for visa since 70 days,but no response.actually how many days require to obtain iraqe employement visa.please help me sir.

14. Saif Altiman December 8, 2013 at 10:43 am #

Please do contact us if you have any issues at any point info @ inanna-advisory . com

15. Warren March 13, 2014 at 11:51 am #

Is there anybody who can help us in getting the required visa for Iraq?