U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials have reported.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place between 8 a.m. Sunday and 8 a.m. Mondat, local time, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Attack, bomber and fighter aircraft conducted 13 airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, nine airstrikes struck eight ISIL tactical units, destroying seven ISIL fighting positions, two ISIL vehicles and an ISIL weapons cache.
- Near Raqqah, one airstrike struck an ISIL airfield.
- Near Kobani, three airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying 13 ISIL fighting positions.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 10 airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
- Near Beiji, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and land features denying ISIL a tactical advantage, destroying an ISIL resupply vehicle.
- Near Fallujah, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroying two ISIL staging areas, an ISIL fighting position and an ISIL heavy machine gun.
- Near Mosul, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL vehicle-borne, improvised explosive device facility, destroying two ISIL buildings, an ISIL heavy machine gun, an ISIL mortar system and an ISIL rocket launcher.
- Near Ramadi, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL crane.
- Near Sinjar, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying two ISIL buildings and an ISIL heavy machine gun.
- Near Tal Afar, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and two ISIL mortar positions, destroying two ISIL heavy machine guns and an ISIL building.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Defense Dept)