U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place between 8 a.m. Monday and 8 a.m. Tuesday, local time, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Bomber and fighter aircraft conducted nine airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Raqqah, three airstrikes struck three ISIL tactical units, destroying two ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Kobani, six airstrikes struck four ISIL tactical units, destroying three resupply boats, an ISIL excavator, an ISIL fighting position and an ISIL vehicle.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack and fighter aircraft conducted 14 airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
- Near Beiji, three airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroying four ISIL structures.
- Near Kirkuk, one airstrike struck two ISIL heavy machine guns.
- Near Makhmur, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL mortar firing position, destroying an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Mosul, four airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and an ISIL mortar firing position, destroying two ISIL buildings, two ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL mortar system.
- Near Tal Afar, four airstrikes struck three ISIL tactical units, destroying five ISIL buildings, an ISIL fighting position, an ISIL heavy machine gun, an ISIL rocket system and an ISIL rocket-propelled grenade.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)