U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place between 8 a.m. Tuesday and 8 a.m. Wednesday, local time, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Bomber and fighter aircraft conducted five airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, one airstrike struck an ISIL staging area.
- Near Raqqah, three airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroying three ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL armored vehicle.
- Near Dayr Az Zawr, one airstrike struck an ISIL crude oil collection point.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 16 airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
- Near Baghdadi, one airstrike struck an ISIL resupply vehicle.
- Near Beiji, five airstrikes struck four ISIL tactical units, destroying three ISIL vehicles, an ISIL building and an ISIL vehicle-borne improvised explosive device.
- Near Kirkuk, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL building.
- Near Makhmur, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL mortar system, destroying an ISIL building and an ISIL heavy machine gun.
- Near Mosul, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL mortar system, destroying an ISIL building, an ISIL fighting position and an ISIL heavy machine gun.
- Near Sinjar, one airstrike truck an ISIL large tactical unit, an ISIL mortar firing position and an ISIL building, destroying five ISIL buildings, an ISIL vehicle-borne improvised explosive device, an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL rocket propelled grenade cache.
- Near Tal Afar, four airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, two ISIL mortar systems, an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL rocket firing position, destroying three ISIL buildings, an ISIL rocket and an ISIL tunnel system.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)