U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place between 8 a.m. Wednesday and 8 a.m. Thursday, local time, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Attack, bomber and fighter aircraft conducted 16 airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL fighting position and an ISIL heavy machine gun.
- Near Raqqah, seven airstrikes struck six ISIL tactical units, destroying seven ISIL improvised rocket-assisted munitions, two ISIL fighting positions, two ISIL resupply points, two ISIL vehicle bombs, an ISIL vehicle and an ISIL vehicle bomb warehouse.
- Near Dayr Az Zawr, four airstrikes struck four ISIL crude oil collection points.
- Near Kobani, four airstrikes struck three ISIL tactical units, destroying four ISIL fighting positions, two ISIL vehicles, an ISIL building and an ISIL mortar firing position.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 13 airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
- Near Al Qaim, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL excavator.
- Near Beiji, four airstrikes struck four ISIL tactical units, destroying three ISIL vehicles and three ISIL structures.
- Near Haditha, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Kirkuk, an airstrike struck an ISIL mortar firing position.
- Near Mosul, three airstrikes struck land features, denying ISIL a tactical advantage, as well as an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL heavy machine gun, destroying an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Sinjar, an airstrike struck an ISIL large tactical unit, destroying three ISIL structures, two ISIL rocket-propelled grenades, an ISIL bunker, an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL tunnel system.
- Near Tal Afar, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and two ISIL mortar firing positions, destroying an ISIL building and an ISIL heavy machine gun.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)