U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place between 8 a.m. Wednesday and 8 a.m. Thursday, local time, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Attack, bomber and fighter aircraft conducted 10 airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, six airstrikes struck three ISIL tactical units and two ISIL antennas, destroying four ISIL vehicles, three ISIL bunkers, an ISIL structure and an ISIL building.
- Near Kobani, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroying two ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Tal Abyad, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroying three ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL structure.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 18 airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
- Near Huwayjah, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying two ISIL heavy machine guns and an ISIL building.
- Near Fallujah, three airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroying nine ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL recoilless rifle, an ISIL mortar system, an ISIL tunnel system and an ISIL cave.
- Near Habbaniyah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL mortar systems and an ISIL fighting position.
- Near Haditha, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL vehicle and an ISIL structure.
- Near Makhmur, one airstrike struck an ISIL heavy machine gun.
- Near Mosul, four airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, two ISIL mortar firing positions and an ISIL fighting position, destroying an ISIL building and an ISIL vehicle bomb.
- Near Rawah, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL bulldozer.
- Near Sinjar, four airstrikes struck three ISIL staging areas and an ISIL heavy machine gun, destroying two ISIL buildings.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)