U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place July 7, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 11 airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroying four ISIL vehicles, two ISIL bunkers and five ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Raqqah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Kobani, three airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit, two ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Tal Abyad, five airstrikes struck five ISIL tactical units, destroying an ISIL fighting position and two ISIL structures.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 14 airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
- Near Fallujah, one airstrike struck an ISIL large tactical unit, destroying two ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL mortar.
- Near Haditha, three airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL vehicle-borne improvised explosive device, an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL front end loader.
- Near Kirkuk, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
- Near Makhmur, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
- Near Mosul, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
- Near Ramadi, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL vehicle bomb.
- Near Sinjar, three airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit, and two ISIL tactical units, destroying two ISIL light machine guns, four ISIL heavy machine guns, three ISIL vehicles, 11 ISIL buildings, an ISIL anti-aircraft weapon, an ISIL vehicle bomb and an ISIL command and control node.
- Near Tal Afar, three airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroying an ISIL light machine gun three ISIL fighting positions, two ISIL heavy machine guns and an ISIL bunker.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)