U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
“In the past 48 hours, coalition airstrikes hit five vehicle-borne [improvised explosive devices] and a factory producing these weapons in Ramadi,” said Army Lt. Col. Thomas Gilleran, task force spokesman. “Removing these weapons from the battlefield is a high priority for the coalition.”
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Attack, bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 16 airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, six airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit and five ISIL tactical units destroying two ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL bunker, an ISIL tunnel entrance, an ISIL vehicle-borne improvised explosive device, an ISIL anti-aircraft artillery weapon, an ISIL artillery piece and two ISIL checkpoints.
- Near Aleppo, six airstrikes struck 27 ISIL staging areas.
- Near Raqqah, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
- Near Dayr Az Zawr, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
- Near Kobani, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
- Near Tal Abyad, an airstrike struck an ISIL large tactical unit and destroyed three ISIL fighting positions.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, fighter-attack and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 17 airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
- Near Huwayjah, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Fallujah, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL anti-aircraft artillery weapon and an ISIL mortar.
- Near Kirkuk, four airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit, an ISIL tactical unit and seven ISIL staging areas and destroyed seven ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Mosul, five airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and suppressed ISIL mortar fire, destroying an ISIL heavy machine gun, two ISIL buildings and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Ramadi, three airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit, destroying an ISIL vehicle-borne improvised explosive device, four ISIL vehicles and five ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Tal Afar, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL heavy machine gun and destroyed two ISIL fighting positions.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)