U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of yesterday’s strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted nine airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, eight airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit and seven ISIL small tactical units and destroyed six ISIL fighting positions, three ISIL vehicles, two ISIL weapons caches, an ISIL vehicle bomb and an ISIL bunker system.
- Near Raqqah, an airstrike destroyed eight ISIL T-walls.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, fighter-attack, bomber and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 16 airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
- Near Huwayjah, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL tunnels and an ISIL building.
- Near Makhmur, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL building.
- Near Mosul, an airstrike struck an ISIL mortar and destroyed an ISIL building.
- Near Ramadi, six airstrikes struck four ISIL small tactical units and destroyed two ISIL improvised explosive devices, three ISIL tanks, three ISIL armored personnel carriers, an ISIL vehicle, two ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL weapons cache.
- Near Sinjar, four airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and destroyed two ISIL light machine guns, six ISIL buildings and an ISIL fighting position.
- Near Tal Afar, three airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed four ISIL bunkers, two ISIL buildings and an ISIL light machine gun.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)