U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place yesterday, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 15 airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, 10 airstrikes struck eight ISIL tactical units and destroyed two ISIL vehicles, five ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL staging area, two ISIL bunkers, an ISIL excavator and three ISIL check points.
- Near Raqqah, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL excavator.
- Near Kobani, four airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL mortar position, an ISIL vehicle, an ISIL heavy weapon and an ISIL fighting position.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, fighter-attack, bomber and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 15 airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
- Near Beiji, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Fallujah, one airstrike destroyed two ISIL bridges.
- Near Habbaniyah, one airstrike destroyed eight ISIL rocket rails.
- Near Haditha, two airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit and ISIL terrain denying ISIL a tactical advantage and destroyed an ISIL sniper position and an ISIL mortar position.
- Near Makhmur, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL heavy machine guns.
- Near Mosul, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL heavy machine gun and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Ramadi, three airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and destroyed two ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL excavator, an ISIL building and an ISIL vehicle-borne improvised explosive device.
- Near Tal Afar, four airstrikes struck an ISIL rocket firing position and destroyed six ISIL bunkers.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)