U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place yesterday, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Fighter-attack, fighter and bomber aircraft conducted 24 airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, seven airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit and five ISIL small tactical units and destroyed six ISIL fighting positions, four ISIL motorcycles, an ISIL heavy machine gun, an ISIL vehicle and an ISIL command and control center.
- Near Dayr Az Zawr, 17 airstrikes struck eight ISIL staging areas, three ISIL bridges, four ISIL checkpoints, an ISIL training area and an ISIL logistics site.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, fighter-attack, bomber and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 17 airstrikes in Iraq, coordinated with the government of Iraq:
- Near Qaim, two airstrikes struck an ISIL staging area.
- Near Beiji, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and destroyed three ISIL structures and an ISIL heavy machine gun.
- Near Habbaniyah, two airstrikes destroyed an ISIL mortar system, an ISIL fighting position and four ISIL rocket rails.
- Near Haditha, two airstrikes destroyed five ISIL structures, an ISIL mortar system, an ISIL weapons cache and an ISIL command and control center.
- Near Makhmur, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
- Near Mosul, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and an ISIL anti-aircraft artillery weapon and destroyed three ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL heavy machine gun.
- Near Ramadi, four airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and terrain denying ISIL a tactical advantage and destroyed two ISIL vehicles and two ISIL excavators.
- Near Sinjar, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
- Near Tal Afar, one airstrike destroyed two ISIL bunkers.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)