U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Fighter, fighter-attack, bomber and remotely piloted aircraft conducted seven airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, five airstrikes struck five ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL bunker, seven ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Ar Raqqah, two airstrikes struck two large ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL container, three ISIL vehicles and an ISIL building.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, fighter-attack, bomber and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 22 airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
- Near Fallujah, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL excavator.
- Near Habbaniyah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed three ISIL structures.
- Near Hit, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle bomb.
- Near Makhmur, three airstrikes struck three ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL bunker, 15 ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Mosul, five airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL vehicle, two ISIL heavy machine guns, an ISIL mortar system, an ISIL weapons cache, three ISIL fighting positions and six ISIL bunkers.
- Near Ramadi, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL vehicles and an ISIL weapons cache.
- Near Sinjar, eight airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and seven ISIL staging areas and destroyed an ISIL anti-aircraft artillery weapon and an ISIL fighting position.
- Near Tal Afar, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)