U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted six airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hawl, an airstrike struck an ISIL large tactical unit and destroyed eight ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Kobani, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and an ISIL training camp and destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
- Near Mar’a, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL road grader and destroyed an ISIL fighting position and an ISIL front end loader.
- Near Washiyah, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, bomber, fighter, fighter-attack and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 13 airstrikes in Iraq, coordinated with the government of Iraq:
- Near Baghdadi, an airstrike struck an ISIL large tactical unit and destroyed three ISIL buildings and an ISIL vehicle bomb.
- Near Beiji, two airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit and destroyed three ISIL vehicles and an ISIL weapons cache.
- Near Haditha, an airstrike struck an ISIL large tactical unit and destroyed four ISIL vehicle bombs.
- Near Kisik, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL heavy machine gun.
- Near Mosul, four airstrikes struck four ISIL tactical units and destroyed four ISIL fighting positions an ISIL heavy machine gun, an ISIL light machine gun and an ISIL mortar tube.
- Near Ramadi, three airstrikes struck three ISIL staging areas
- Near Sinjar, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL heavy machine gun.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)