On Friday, U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Officials reported details of the strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrike in Syria
- Near Al Hawl, bomber aircraft struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Bomber, fighter, fighter-attack, and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 24 airstrikes in Iraq, coordinated with the government of Iraq:
- Near Baghdadi, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL weapons cache and an ISIL mortar system.
- Near Huwayjah, four airstrikes destroyed eight ISIL fighting positions and suppressed an ISIL mortar position.
- Near Qaim, an airstrike had inconclusive results.
- Near Albu Hayat, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL training facility and two ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Beiji, three airstrikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed seven ISIL buildings, an ISIL vehicle-borne bomb, and wounded two ISIL fighters.
- Near Habbaniya, two airstrikes destroyed seven ISIL rocket rails and an ISIL excavator.
- Near Mosul, five airstrikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed two ISIL fighting positions, three ISIL staging positions, and suppressed an ISIL mortar position.
- Near Ramadi, two airstrikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL building, an ISIL fighting position, an ISIL vehicle, and an ISIL cache.
- Near Sinjar, three airstrikes struck three separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL fighting position, an ISIL vehicle, and an ISIL bunker.
- Near Tal Afar, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL armored vehicle and an ISIL observation post.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)