On Monday, U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of the strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Remotely piloted and fighter aircraft conducted five airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Abu Kamal, two airstrikes destroyed a crude oil collection point.
- Near Dayr Az Zawr, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Mar’a, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed five ISIL rockets, an ISIL vehicle, and an ISIL mortar system.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Bomber, fighter, attack, and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 12 airstrikes in Iraq, coordinated with and in support of the government of Iraq:
- Near Asad, an airstrike struck a large ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL buildings.
- Near Huwayjah, three airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed nine ISIL fighting positions, three ISIL bunkers, and five ISIL tunnels.
- Near Beiji, two airstrikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed two ISIL buildings and an ISIL weapons cache.
- Near Habbaniyah, an airstrike destroyed three ISIL weapons caches and two rocket positions.
- Near Kirkuk, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Kisik, an airstrike suppressed an ISIL mortar position.
- Near Ramadi, two airstrikes destroyed an ISIL tunnel and two ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Sinjar, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL fighting position.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)