U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today (Monday).
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Bomber and remotely piloted aircraft conducted eight airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, six strikes struck seven separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed four ISIL fighting positions and three ISIL vehicles.
- Near Hawl, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Palmyra, one strike produced inconclusive results.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Fighter, fighter-attack, and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 13 airstrikes in Iraq, coordinated with and in support of the Iraqi government:
- Near Baghdadi, one strike destroyed an ISIL heavy machine gun.
- Near Huwayjah, one strike suppressed an ISIL mortar position.
- Near Beiji, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL structure.
- Near Fallujah, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL buildings.
- Near Habbaniyah, one strike destroyed four ISIL rocket rails.
- Near Hit, one strike destroyed an ISIL weapons storage facility.
- Near Kisik, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
- Near Mosul, two strikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle and an ISIL fighting position and wounded one ISIL fighter.
- Near Ramadi, two strikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed four ISIL buildings, an ISIL weapons cache, an ISIL vehicle, an ISIL tactical vehicle, an ISIL anti-tank weapon, two ISIL mortar positions, and five ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Sinjar, two strikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed two ISIL heavy machine guns and four ISIL fighting positions.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Canada, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)