U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported on Tuesday.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Bomber, fighter, and remotely piloted aircraft conducted seven strikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, five strikes struck four separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL vehicle-borne improvised explosive device, five ISIL buildings, and an ISIL checkpoint.
- Near Dayr Az Zawr, one strike struck an ISIL crude oil collection point.
- Near Manbij, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL building.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Bomber, fighter, attack, fighter-attack, ground-attack, and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 17 strikes in Iraq, coordinated with and in support of the government of Iraq:
- Near Huwayjah, three strikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed three ISIL fighting positions and suppressed an ISIL mortar position.
- Near Habbaniyah, one strike destroyed an ISIL weapons cache.
- Near Mosul, one strike destroyed an ISIL tactical vehicle.
- Near Ramadi, nine strikes struck six separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL vehicle-borne bomb, four ISIL buildings, ten ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL heavy machine gun, an ISIL excavator, two ISIL mortar positions, an ISIL improvised explosive device compound, three ISIL homemade explosive facilities, an ISIL house bomb, an ISIL homemade explosive cache, and denied ISIL access to terrain.
- Near Sinjar, two strikes destroyed six ISIL bunkers.
- Near Sultan Abdallah, one strike suppressed an ISIL mortar position.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Canada, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)