U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported on Sunday.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Strikes in Syria
Fighter aircraft conducted two strikes in Syria:
- Near Hawl, a strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL tunnel.
- Near Hasakah, a strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL building.
Strikes in Iraq
Attack, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted [today’s number] strikes in Iraq, coordinated with and in support of the Iraqi government:
- Near Albu Hayat, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL improvised explosive device cache and six ISIL rocket rails.
- Near Habbaniyah, a strike destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
- Near Kisik, a strike destroyed two ISIL rocket positions.
- Near Mosul, 12 strikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units, an ISIL headquarters, two ISIL financial storage centers and two ISIL financial distribution centers, destroying 12 ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL vehicle-borne IED.
- Near Ramadi, six strikes struck five separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed three ISIL staging areas, three ISIL fighting positions and two ISIL assembly areas.
- Near Sinjar, a strike suppressed an ISIL mortar position.
- Near Sultan Abdallah, a strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Tal Afar, a strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
- Near Fallujah, a strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL assembly area.
Task force officials define a strike as one or more kinetic events that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative, effect. Therefore, officials explained, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIL vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against buildings, vehicles and weapon systems in a compound, for example, having the cumulative effect of making those targets harder or impossible for ISIL to use. Accordingly, officials said, they do not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations that have conducted strikes in Iraq include Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom and the United States. Coalition nations that have conducted strikes in Syria include Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom and the United States.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)