U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported on Sunday.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Strikes in Syria
Attack, fighter and ground attack aircraft conducted 12 strikes in Syria:
- Near Raqqah, a strike struck an ISIL improvised weapons assembly area.
- Near Manbij, a strike destroyed two ISIL buildings.
- Near Tal Abyad, 10 strikes struck three separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed 23 ISIL buildings, and suppressed two ISIL tactical units, an ISIL mortar position, eight ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL heavy machine gun position, and an ISIL rocket fire position.
Strikes in Iraq
Fighter aircraft conducted 12 strikes in Iraq, coordinated with and in support of Iraq’s government:
- Near Fallujah, a strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL staging area and two rocket rails.
- Near Kisik, a strike destroyed three ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Makhmur, a strike destroyed an ISIL vehicle bomb.
- Near Mosul, five strikes struck three separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed five ISIL fighting positions and two ISIL rocket rails and suppressed an ISIL rocket position.
- Near Qayyarah, a strike struck an ISIL financial distribution center.
- Near Ramadi, two strikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL building, an ISIL fighting position and two ISIL vehicles.
- Near Sinjar, a strike suppressed an ISIL rocket position and an ISIL heavy machine gun position.
Task force officials define a strike as one or more kinetic events that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative, effect. Therefore, officials explained, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIL vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against buildings, vehicles and weapon systems in a compound, for example, having the cumulative effect of making those targets harder or impossible for ISIL to use. Accordingly, officials said, they do not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations that have conducted strikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Coalition nations that have conducted strikes in Syria include the United States, Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)