U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported on Sunday.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Strikes in Syria
Attack, fighter, and remotely piloted aircraft conducted six strikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, a strike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
- Near Raqqah, a strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Manbij, four strikes struck three separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL anti-air artillery piece, three ISIL vehicles, an ISIL mortar position, and an ISIL fighting position.
Strikes in Iraq
Rocket artillery and attack, fighter, and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 12 strikes in Iraq, coordinated with and in support of Iraq’s government:
- Near Baghdadi, a strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL rocket position.
- Near Qaim, a strike struck an ISIL financial storage center.
- Near Beiji, two strikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units.
- Near Hit, two strikes struck a large ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle-borne bomb, three ISIL fighting positions, and denied ISIL access to terrain.
- Near Kisik, a strike destroyed an ISIL supply cache.
- Near Mosul, a strike destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
- Near Qayyarah, a strike struck an ISIL used bridge.
- Near Sinjar, three strikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL fighting position, an ISIL assembly area, and an ISIL rocket position.
Task force officials define a strike as one or more kinetic events that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative, effect. Therefore, officials explained, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIL vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against buildings, vehicles and weapon systems in a compound, for example, having the cumulative effect of making those targets harder or impossible for ISIL to use. Accordingly, officials said, they do not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations.
Coalition nations which have conducted strikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Coalition nations which have conducted strikes in Syria include the United States, Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Jordan, the Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)