U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq on Wednesday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported on Thursday.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Strikes in Syria
Attack, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted five strikes in Syria:
- Near Raqqah, two strikes engaged an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed a tanker trailer, an oil workover rig and a vehicle.
- Near Ayn Isa, a strike engaged an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed a mortar system and a vehicle.
- Near Dayz Az Zawr, a strike destroyed four ISIL oil tanker trucks.
- Near Mar’a, a strike destroyed an ISIL vehicle bomb.
Strikes in Iraq
Fighter aircraft and rocket artillery conducted seven strikes in Iraq, coordinated with and in support of Iraq’s government:
- Near Albu Hayat, a strike engaged an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two bunkers and two vehicles.
- Near Haditha, a strike engaged an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed a building.
- Near Mosul, two strikes engaged an ISIL financial center and destroyed a weapons storage facility.
- Near Qayyarah, a strike engaged an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed a vehicle, 12 rocket rails, four rocket systems and an assembly area.
- Near Ramadi, a strike engaged an ISIL tactical unit.
- Near Sinjar, a strike destroyed an ISIL tunnel entrance and suppressed a mortar position.
Task force officials define a strike as one or more kinetic events that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative, effect. Therefore, officials explained, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIL vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against buildings, vehicles and weapon systems in a compound, for example, having the cumulative effect of making those targets harder or impossible for ISIL to use. Accordingly, officials said, they do not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target. Ground-based artillery fired in counterfire or in fire support to maneuver roles is not classified as a strike.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations that have conducted strikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Coalition nations that have conducted strikes in Syria include the United States, Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)