US Announces Fulbright Foreign Student Program

The United States Mission in Iraq is pleased to announce that it is now accepting applications for the 2014-2016 Fulbright Foreign Student Program. This prestigious and competitive scholarship program allows outstanding students worldwide to obtain master’s degrees at U.S. universities to further their academic and professional careers as well as to promote international cultural understanding.

The Fulbright program directly supports the U.S.-Iraq Strategic Framework Agreement by strengthening the development of Iraq’s future leaders through educational exchange.

The Fulbright scholarship will fund up to two years of study at the master’s degree level at a U.S. university starting in the fall of 2014. All academic fields of study are available under this program, with the exception of medicine and other clinical studies. Iraqis, both male and female, with outstanding academic record can apply at The deadline for submitting applications is April 30, 2013.

The Fulbright Foreign Student Program is an exceptional opportunity to experience life in the United States first-hand. At the same time, Fulbright fellows have the opportunity to share information about Iraq's rich culture and heritage with Americans, both in the classroom and in everyday life. A bi-national committee comprised of U.S. officials and Iraqis will select finalists for the Fulbright Foreign Student Program.

Applicants must:

  • Be Iraqi citizens who are resident in Iraq and demonstrate a clear commitment to return to Iraq at the conclusion of their program.
  • Hold a B.A. or B.S. degree at the time of application.
  • Be proficient in English with the ability to score at least an 80 on the Internet-Based TOEFL exam (equivalent to a 550 on the Paper-Based TOEFL exam). Candidates should be prepared to take the TOEFL exam at any time during the selection process.
  • Write the research objective personal statement themselves, without copying from the Internet or any other source.

Interested applicants can find more information on the U.S. Embassy website, or by writing

(Source: Embassy of the United States)

Comments are closed.