U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place between 8 a.m. Monday and 8 a.m. Tuesday, local time, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Bomber and fighter aircraft conducted five airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, four airstrikes struck three large and one small ISIL tactical units, destroying two ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL command and control facility, an ISIL mortar system, an ISIL truck and an ISIL weapons cache.
- Near Kobani, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, fighter and bomber aircraft conducted 10 airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
- Near Huwayjah, an airstrike had inconclusive results.
- Near Beiji, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and land features denying ISIL a tactical advantage, destroying an ISIL fighting position.
- Near Fallujah, an airstrike struck land features denying ISIL a tactical advantage.
- Near Makhmur, two airstrikes struck three ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Mosul, an airstrike struck an ISIL staging area.
- Near Sinjar, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroying four ISIL buildings and three ISIL heavy machine guns.
- Near Tal Afar, an airstrike struck an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL mortar system.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)