U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted eight airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, five airstrikes struck five ISIL tactical units and destroyed four ISIL fighting positions, two ISIL bunkers, two ISIL structures, an ISIL excavator and an ISIL supply truck.
- Near Aleppo, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Raqqah, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
- Near Tal Abyad, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL bunker.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, bomber, fighter, fighter-attack and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 21 airstrikes in Iraq, coordinated with Iraqi government:
- Near Huwayjah, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL homemade explosives factory.
- Near Beiji, four airstrikes struck one small and two large ISIL tactical units and destroyed three ISIL vehicles and two ISIL structures.
- Near Fallujah, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL bunker, an ISIL vehicle and an ISIL weapons cache.
- Near Habbaniyah, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL excavator.
- Near Makhmur, four airstrikes struck two ISIL staging areas and destroyed 19 ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Mosul, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL caches and an ISIL building.
- Near Ramadi, five airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and destroyed three ISIL vehicles, an ISIL building, an ISIL homemade explosives resupply trailer, an ISIL IED and an ISIL vehicle bomb.
- Near Sinjar, an airstrike struck an ISIL large tactical unit and destroyed three ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL tunnel system.
- Near Tal Afar, two airstrikes struck an ISIL heavy machine gun firing position and an ISIL mortar firing position.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)