U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted eight airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL fighting position, an ISIL heavy machine gun, an ISIL communications repeater and an ISIL staging area.
- Near Aleppo, four airstrikes struck four ISIL tactical units and destroyed three ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Kobani, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL heavy machine guns and an ISIL fighting position.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, bomber, fighter and fighter-attack and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 21 airstrikes in Iraq, coordinated with the Iraqi government:
- Near Rutbah, three airstrikes struck two ISIL staging areas and an ISIL vehicle bomb facility.
- Near Beiji, two airstrikes struck two ISIL large tactical units and two ISIL buildings and destroyed 22 ISIL buildings and nine ISIL vehicles.
- Near Makhmur, one airstrike struck one ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL checkpoints.
- Near Mosul, five airstrikes struck three ISIL tactical units and destroyed three ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL bunker, an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL tunnel entrance.
- Near Ramadi, two airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit and destroyed three ISIL buildings and an ISIL armored personnel carrier.
- Near Sinjar, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL heavy machine gun.
- Near Tuz, seven airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed three ISIL vehicles, two ISIL fighting positions, two ISIL rocket rails, an ISIL staging area, an ISIL vehicle storage area an ISIL vehicle bomb.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)