U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported in releases at the weekend.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Fighter, attack, bomber, ground-attack, and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 16 airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Al Hawl, five strikes struck five separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed two ISIL vehicles, an ISIL fighting position, an ISIL fighting complex and wounded an ISIL fighter.
- Near Mar'a, six strikes struck four separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed seven ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL mortar system, an ISIL vehicle borne improvised explosive device (VBIED), and wounded two ISIL fighters.
- Near Ar Raqqah, one strike struck an ISIL headquarters building.
- Near Dayr Az Zawr, four strikes struck an ISIL crude oil collection point, an ISIL petroleum pump, an ISIL pump station, and destroyed an ISIL crane and an ISIL mobile pump.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, ground-attack, bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 30 airstrikes in Iraq, coordinated with and in support of Iraq’s government:
- Near Al Huwayjah, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL checkpoint.
- Near Al Qaim, one strike struck an ISIL logistical facility.
- Near Bayji, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Kisik, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
- Near Mosul, three strikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL fighting positions and two ISIL artillery pieces, and another fighting position in a separate strike.
- Near Qayyarah, one strike struck an ISIL staging area.
- Near Ramadi, seven strikes struck three separate tactical units and destroyed two ISIL rocket rails, an ISIL trench, 12 ISIL fighting positions, eight ISIL buildings, an ISIL recoilless rifle, an ISIL heavy machine gun, an ISIL mortar system, an ISIL weapons cache, three command and control nodes, suppressed an ISIL fighting position, and denied ISIL access to terrain.
- Near Sinjar, 11 strikes struck 10 separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed 10 ISIL fighting positions, two ISIL vehicles, an ISIL VBIED, an ISIL homemade explosives cache, an ISIL assembly area, two ISIL bunkers, wounded an ISIL fighter and suppressed an ISIL mortar position.
- Near Sultan Abdallah, two strikes destroyed an ISIL excavator and wounded an ISIL fighter.
- Near Tal Afar, two strikes destroyed an ISIL vehicle, an ISIL checkpoint and wounded two ISIL fighters.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)