U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Bomber and remotely piloted aircraft conducted three airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Dayr Az Zawr, a strike destroyed an ISIL excavator and three ISIL bulldozers and damaged an additional ISIL bulldozer.
- Near Hawl, two strikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroyed an ISIL checkpoint and wounded an ISIL fighter.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Bomber, fighter, and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 12 airstrikes in Iraq, coordinated with and in support of the Iraqi government:
- Near Albu Hayat, a strike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
- Near Fallujah, a strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL rocket rail and two ISIL defensive fighting positions.
- Near Habbaniyah, a strike destroyed an ISIL defensive fighting position.
- Near Mosul, a strike denied ISIL access to terrain.
- Near Qayyarah, a strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and wounded an ISIL fighter.
- Near Ramadi, five strikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL indirect fire site, two ISIL tactical vehicles, an ISIL recoilless rifle, an ISIL vehicle, three ISIL buildings, three ISIL anti-air artillery sites, an ISIL tunnel system, and two ISIL weapons caches.
- Near Sinjar, two strikes struck two ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL fighting position and an ISIL vehicle.
Definition of a ‘Strike’
A strike, as defined in the CJTF releases, means one or more kinetic events that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative, effect for that location.
So, the officials said, having a single aircraft deliver a single weapon against a lone ISIL vehicle is one strike. Multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against a group of buildings, vehicles and weapon systems in a compound, with the cumulative effect of making that facility [or facilities] harder or impossible to use is also considered a single strike, task force officials said.
Accordingly, CJTF-OIR does not report the number or type of aircraft employed in each strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)