U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported Sunday.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Attack, fighter, and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 18 airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, nine strikes struck eight separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL fighting position, six ISIL buildings, and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Hawl, five strikes struck five separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL vehicle and two ISIL structures.
- Near Raqqah, a strike destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Dayr Az Zawr, two strikes destroyed an ISIL culvert bridge and two ISIL-used logistics routes.
- Near Manbij, a strike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Coalition forces, using rocket artillery and fighter, attack, and remotely piloted aircraft, conducted 20 airstrikes in Iraq, coordinated with and in support of the Iraqi government:
- Near Baghdadi, three strikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed four ISIL supply caches, an ISIL mortar system, 16 ISIL rocket rails, an ISIL weapons cache, and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Habbaniyah, a strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
- Near Hit, two strikes struck an ISIL weapons production facility and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Mosul, 10 strikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, an ISIL logistical facility, an ISIL fuel storage location, an ISIL mortar booster factory, an ISIL explosive factory, and an ISIL vehicle bomb factory; suppressed an ISIL mortar position and an ISIL heavy machine gun position; and destroyed nine ISIL assembly areas, an ISIL fighting position and two ISIL command and control nodes.
- Near Qayyarah, two strikes destroyed an ISIL vehicle and an ISIL assembly area.
- Near Ramadi, a strike destroyed an ISIL vehicle and two ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Sinjar, a strike destroyed two ISIL fighting positions and suppressed an ISIL rocket position.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)