U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Iraq and Syria yesterday, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Strikes in Syria
Attack, bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 11 strikes in Syria:
- Near Abu Kamal, a strike destroyed an oil rig.
- Near Raqqah, four strikes engaged an ISIL tactical unit; destroyed two vehicles, an oil tanker truck, an oil pump and a vehicle bomb; and damaged a road.
- Near Ayn Isa, two strikes destroyed a vehicle and an anti-air artillery system.
- Near Dayr Az Zawr, four strikes destroyed three oil wellheads, three vehicles and two oil tanker trucks.
Strikes in Iraq
Attack, bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 11 strikes in Iraq, coordinated with and in support of Iraq’s government:
- Near Mosul, four strikes engaged three ISIL tactical units; destroyed six ISIL-held buildings, a mortar system, a vehicle, a weapons cache, a supply cache and an artillery system; and damaged five supply routes and a bridge.
- Near Rawah, a strike engaged an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed a vehicle, a mortar system and a weapons cache.
- Near Tal Afar, a strike destroyed inoperable coalition equipment.
Task force officials define a strike as one or more kinetic events that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative, effect. Therefore, officials explained, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIL vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against buildings, vehicles and weapon systems in a compound, for example, having the cumulative effect of making those targets harder or impossible for ISIL to use. Accordingly, officials said, they do not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations that have conducted strikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Coalition nations that have conducted strikes in Syria include the United States, Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Jordan, the Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)