U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place between 8 a.m. Tuessday and 8 a.m. Wednesday, local time, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Attack, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted four airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, two airstrikes struck one large and one small ISIL tactical unit, destroying six ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Dayr Az Zawr, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL armored vehicle.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 18 airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
- Near Baghdadi, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
- Near Huwayjah, one airstrike struck an ISIL vehicle-borne improvised explosive device facility.
- Near Rutbah, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL excavator.
- Near Beiji, three airstrikes struck land features, denying ISIL a tactical advantage and destroying three ISIL vehicles.
- Near Fallujah, one airstrike struck land features, denying ISIL a tactical advantage.
- Near Kirkuk, one airstrike struck two ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Mosul, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and land features, denying ISIL a tactical advantage and destroying an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL building.
- Near Ramadi, three airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroying five ISIL structures, two ISIL IEDs and two ISIL vehicles.
- Near Sinjar, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL tunnel system, destroying an ISIL heavy machine gun.
- Near Tal Afar, three airstrikes struck three ISIL tactical units and land features, denying ISIL a tactical advantage and destroying three ISIL heavy machine guns, two ISIL vehicles and an ISIL building.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)