U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIS, ISIL, IS) terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place between 8 a.m. Saturday and 8 a.m. Sunday, local time, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
- Near Al Hasakah, two airstrikes struck one large and one small ISIL tactical units, destroying four ISIL fighting positions and a vehicle.
- Near Aleppo, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL ant-aircraft artillery piece and an ISIL fighting positon.
- Near Ar Raqqah, three airstrikes struck three ISIL tactical units, destroying three ISIL fighting positons, an ISIL rocket system, an ISIL motorcycle and an ISIL weapon transportation vehicle.
- Near Kobani, five airstrikes struck four ISIL tactical units, destroying two ISIL vehicles and two ISIL mortar systems.
Airstrikes in Iraq
- Near Al Qaim, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Bayji, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL bridge, destroying an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Makhmur, three airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, an ISIL mortar position and an ISIL rocket position, destroying three ISIL heavy machine guns and an ISIL building.
- Near Sinjar, three airstrikes struck three ISIL tactical units, destroying four ISIL buildings, an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Tal Afar, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL heavy machine gun, destroying two ISIL buildings, an ISIL mortar system and an ISIL vehicle.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)