U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place between 8 a.m. Sunday and 8 a.m. Monday, local time, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Bomber, attack and fighter aircraft conducted seven airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Dayr Az Zawr, two airstrikes struck two ISIL crude oil collection points.
- Near Kobani, five airstrikes struck one large and two small ISIL tactical units, destroying seven ISIL fighting positions, two ISIL vehicles and an ISIL improvised explosive device facility.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 14 airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
- Near Baghdadi, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroying an ISIL tanker and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Beiji, three airstrikes destroyed two ISIL staging positions and seven ISIL vehicles.
- Near Hit, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL checkpoint.
- Near Makhmur, one airstrike struck two ISIL mortar firing positions.
- Near Mosul, three airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL staging area, destroying two ISIL vehicles.
- Near Sinjar, two airstrikes struck an ISIL mortar system, destroying two ISIL buildings, an ISIL rocket-propelled grenade and an ISIL heavy machine gun.
- Near Tal Afar, two airstrikes struck an ISIL mortar firing position, destroying an ISIL tunnel entrance.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)