U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place between 8 a.m. Wednesday and 8 a.m. Thursday, local time, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Bomber, attack, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted six airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, an airstrike destroyed two ISIL tunnel systems.
- Near Dayr Az Zawr, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Tal Abyad, four airstrikes struck one large and two small ISIL tactical units, destroying two ISIL fighting positions, two ISIL vehicles and an ISIL excavator.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, fighter, bomber and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 16 airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
- Near Baghdadi, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Huwayjah, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Beiji, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL pontoon bridge.
- Near Fallujah, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying two ISIL rocket rails and an ISIL bunker.
- Near Ramadi, four airstrikes struck multiple defensive obstacles and fighting positions.
- Near Sinjar, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying two ISIL heavy machine guns, two ISIL buildings and an ISIL excavator.
- Near Tal Afar, five airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, an ISIL fighting position and an ISIL bunker. Two ISIL buildings, two ISIL heavy machine guns and an ISIL vehicle bomb were destroyed, and land features were struck to deny ISIL a tactical advantage.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)