U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place between 8 a.m. Saturday and 8 a.m. Sunday, local time, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Attack, bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 17 airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Aleppo, five airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and an ISIL staging area, destroying five ISIL excavators, two ISIL fighting positions, an artillery piece and a mortar system.
- Near Kobani, nine airstrikes struck three large and five small ISIL tactical units, destroying 10 ISIL vehicles, four ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL armored vehicle.
- Near Tal Abyad, three airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying two ISIL tanks and an ISIL fighting position.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 10 airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
- Near Beiji, two airstrikes struck land features to deny ISIL a tactical advantage. The strikes destroying an ISIL anti-aircraft artillery piece and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Fallujah, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Habbaniyah, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units, destroying an ISIL mortar system and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Makhmur, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL building and an ISIL heavy machine gun.
- Near Mosul, an airstrike struck an ISIL fighting position.
- Near Sinjar, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying two ISIL buildings, an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL rocket-propelled grenade.
- Near Tal Afar, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL heavy machine gun position, destroying two ISIL buildings, an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL weapons cache.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)