U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place between 8 a.m. Tuesday and 8 a.m. Wednesday, local time, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Attack, bomber and fighter aircraft conducted five airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Kobani, three airstrikes struck three ISIL tactical units, destroying an ISIL fighting position.
- Near Tal Abyad, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 12 airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
- Near Baghdadi, an airstrike struck land features denying ISIL a tactical advantage.
- Near Huwayjah, an airstrike destroyed seven ISIL vehicles.
- Near Qaim, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
- Near Habbaniyah, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying two ISIL mortar systems and an ISIL weapons cache.
- Near Kirkuk, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Mosul, two airstrikes struck an ISIL staging area, an ISIL fighting position and an ISIL building.
- Near Rawah, an airstrike had inconclusive results.
- Near Sinjar, three airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL sniper position, destroying an ISIL fighting position, an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL building.
- Near Waleed, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL excavator.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)