U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place July 11, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Separately, Syrian aircraft conducted airstrikes within Raqqah near the timeframe of coalition forces, the officials said, noting the Syrian airstrikes were not coordinated with the coalition.
The nearest coalition airstrike to the Raqqa city center was 6.75 km away and targeted four bridges, they said.
Marine Corps Brig. Gen. Kevin Killea, CJTF-OIR chief of staff, said:
“Coalition airstrikes continue to protect gains made by partners on the ground while opening up new avenues to further diminish [ISIL] capabilities.
“With more than 5,200 strikes in Syria and Iraq since the beginning of the air campaign, the coalition continues to show its commitment to supporting anti-[ISIL] forces.”
Airstrikes in Syria
Bomber, fighter-attack and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 16 airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, eight airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit and five ISIL tactical units destroying three ISIL vehicles, five ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL sniper position and three ISIL motorcycles.
- Near Aleppo, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL bunker.
- Near Raqqah, six airstrikes struck five ISIL staging areas and an ISIL personnel carrier destroying an ISIL t-wall and two ISIL excavators.
- Near Kobani, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Bomber, fighter-attack and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 11 airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
- Near Huwayjah, one airstrike struck an ISIL large tactical unit and an ISIL rocket position, destroying two ISIL vehicles, an ISIL cache and two ISIL buildings.
- Near Beiji, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit destroying two ISIL vehicles and an ISIL fuel tanker.
- Near Fallujah, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit destroying an ISIL rocket rail, an ISIL bunker and an ISIL artillery piece.
- Near Habbaniyah, two airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical destroying an ISIL rocket launcher, two ISIL vehicles and an ISIL boat.
- Near Makhmur, one airstrike struck an ISIL rocket position.
- Near Ramadi, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL structure.
- Near Sinjar, one airstrike struck an ISIL large tactical unit, destroying two ISIL vehicles and four ISIL buildings.
- Near Tal Afar, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL tunnel.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)