U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place yesterday, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Fighter-attack, bomber and remotely piloted aircraft conducted six airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Al Hasakah, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle-borne improvised explosive device.
- Near Dayr Az Zawr, one airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL guard shack.
- Near Kobani, four airstrikes struck two ISIL large tactical units and two ISIL small tactical units and destroyed three ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL command and control center.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, fighter-attack, and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 18 airstrikes in Iraq, coordinated with the government of Iraq:
- Near Al Huwayjah, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL bomb factory.
- Near Fallujah, four airstrikes struck terrain denying ISIL a tactical advantage and destroyed two ISIL vehicles and two ISIL rocket rails.
- Near Habbaniyah, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL bridge.
- Near Makhmur, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL bomb-making facility and destroyed an ISIL fighting position and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Mosul, four airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, an ISIL weapons cache, an ISIL weapons storage area and an ISIL staging area and destroyed an ISIL bunker.
- Near Ramadi, four airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and an ISIL sniper position and destroyed an ISIL cache, an ISIL fighting position, an ISIL homemade explosives cache and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Sinjar, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and destroyed three ISIL heavy machine guns and four ISIL fighting positions.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct operations.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)