U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Officials reported details of strikes that took place yesterday, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Attack, bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted nine airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, five airstrikes struck one large and four small ISIL tactical units and destroyed 10 ISIL fighting positions, two ISIL bunkers and an ISIL structure.
- Near Aleppo, three airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, an ISIL excavator and an ISIL staging area and destroyed an ISIL excavator.
- Near Dayr Az Zawr, an airstrike struck an ISIL bridge.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, bomber, fighter and fighter-attack aircraft conducted 10 airstrikes in Iraq, coordinated with the government of Iraq:
- Near Huwayjah, two airstrikes struck two ISIL heavy machine gun firing positions.
- Near Beiji, an airstrike struck an ISIL large tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL homemade explosives cache.
- Near Makhmur, two airstrikes struck two ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL mortar firing position.
- Near Ramadi, three airstrikes struck three ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL bomb.
- Near Sinjar, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL fighting positions and an ISIL light machine gun.
- Near Tal Afar, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL fighting positions.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct operations.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)