U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrike in Syria
- A remotely piloted aircraft conducted an airstrike near Mar’a, which destroyed two ISIL excavators.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Bomber, fighter, attack, fighter-attack, and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 21 airstrikes in Iraq, coordinated with and in support of the Iraqi government:
- Near Huwayjah, seven airstrikes struck a large ISIL tactical unit and an area of interest, suppressed ISIL mortar fire, denied ISIL terrain, and destroyed three ISIL heavy machine guns, an ISIL light machine gun, and eight ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Beiji, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL tactical vehicle and an ISIL mortar position.
- Near Fallujah, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL building and an ISIL tunnel.
- Near Habbaniyah, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL building and an ISIL rocket system.
- Near Kirkuk, four airstrikes struck three separate ISIL tactical units, denied ISIL access to terrain, and destroyed an ISIL cache, two ISIL heavy machine guns, seven ISIL light machine guns, and 22 ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Ramadi, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed 10 ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL tactical vehicle and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Sinjar, two airstrikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL light machine gun and two ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Sultan Abdallah, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL fighting position and suppressed an ISIL mortar position.
- Near Tal Afar, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)