U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported on Thursday.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Fighter aircraft conducted two strikes in Syria:
- Near Hawl, two strikes destroyed an ISIL crude oil collection point and an ISIL oil pump.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Bomber, fighter, attack, fighter-attack and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 18 strikes in Iraq, coordinated with and in support of the government of Iraq:
- Near Beiji, two strikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL tactical vehicle and three ISIL vehicles.
- Near Kirkuk, two strikes suppressed two ISIL mortar positions.
- Near Mosul, two strikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL heavy machine gun, an ISIL fighting position, and suppressed an ISIL mortar position.
- Near Ramadi, five strikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed two ISIL buildings, two ISIL tunnels, four ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL mortar position, an ISIL sniper position, and six ISIL homemade explosive facilities.
- Near Sinjar, six strikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroyed three separate ISIL vehicle-borne bomb facilities, an ISIL heavy machine gun, two ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL weapons cache, and two ISIL trench systems.
- Near Sultan Abdallah, one strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL fighting position.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct operations.
Coalition nations conducting strikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Canada, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting strikes in Syria include the United States, Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)