U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported on Monday.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Strikes in Syria
Attack and remotely piloted aircraft conducted six strikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, three strikes struck three separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL building, four ISIL vehicles and an ISIL heavy machine gun.
- Near Ayn Isa, two strikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Dayr Az Zawr, a strike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
Strikes in Iraq
Attack, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 12 strikes in Iraq, coordinated with and in support of Iraq’s government:
- Near Baghdadi, a strike destroyed an ISIL tactical vehicle.
- Near Fallujah, a strike destroyed an ISIL front-end loader.
- Near Habbaniyah, a strike destroyed an ISIL fighting position and an ISIL heavy machine gun position.
- Near Kisik, a strike destroyed an ISIL rocket rail.
- Near Mosul, a strike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
- Near Qayyarah, a strike struck an ISIL used bridge.
- Near Ramadi, two strikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL tactical vehicle.
- Near Sinjar, a strike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL heavy machine gun position and three ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Sultan Abdallah, a strike destroyed an ISIL mortar position and three ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Tikrit, two strikes struck an ISIL improvised weapons factory and an ISIL headquarters.
Task force officials define a strike as one or more kinetic events that occur in roughly the same geographic location to produce a single, sometimes cumulative, effect. Therefore, officials explained, a single aircraft delivering a single weapon against a lone ISIL vehicle is one strike, but so is multiple aircraft delivering dozens of weapons against buildings, vehicles and weapon systems in a compound, for example, having the cumulative effect of making those targets harder or impossible for ISIL to use. Accordingly, officials said, they do not report the number or type of aircraft employed in a strike, the number of munitions dropped in each strike, or the number of individual munition impact points against a target.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations that have conducted strikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Coalition nations that have conducted strikes in Syria include the United States, Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)