Heritage Oil has announced that it has commenced drilling the Miran East-1 exploration well in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq.
- The Miran East-1 exploration well has commenced drilling with a second rig on the Miran Block in Kurdistan
- This is the first well to be drilled on the large, highly prospective Miran East structure, which is contiguous to the oil and gas discoveries in the Miran West structure
- The well is targeting exploration potential within the Cretaceous and the Jurassic reservoir intervals
- It is intended that multiple target intervals will be tested and evaluated as the well is drilled to a target depth of c.4,000 metres
- The well is expected to take approximately seven months to drill and test
Drilling of the Miran East-1 exploration well has commenced with an estimated target depth of c.4,000 metres. This is the first well to be drilled on the highly prospective eastern structure, which has an area of approximately 130 square kilometres. The well is targeting exploration potential within the Cretaceous and Jurassic reservoir intervals of the eastern structure, contiguous with the hydrocarbon bearing Miran West structure. The well design utilises recently acquired 3D seismic data and the enhanced understanding of the structural configuration within the Miran Field that this has provided.
Drilling of Miran East-1 is expected to take approximately seven months with multiple intervals to be evaluated and tested as the well is drilled.
Tony Buckingham (pictured), Chief Executive Officer, commented:
"Our work programme in Kurdistan continues with the spudding of the Miran East-1 exploration well. The large, undrilled Miran East structure has the potential to add significant hydrocarbon resources at all of the multiple reservoir intervals."
Heritage Energy Middle East, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Heritage, is operator and holds a 75% interest in the Miran Block and Genel Energy plc the remaining 25%, although there are third party back-in rights. The Miran Block has an area of 1,015 square kilometres and is located west of the city of Suleimaniah. The Miran Block contains two large structures, Miran West and Miran East, which have been mapped from 2D and 3D seismic programmes conducted by Heritage.
Tony Hayward, chief executive of Genel Energy added:
"The Miran East-1 exploration well is being drilled on a separate structure from the existing Miran discovery and has the potential to add significantly to our resources. The spudding represents the latest well in the extensive exploration programme that we are undertaking over the next 12 months in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, aimed at adding some 700 million barrels to our resource base."
Deprecated: related_posts is deprecated since version 5.12.0! Use yarpp_related instead. in /srv/users/ibn/apps/ibn/public/wp-includes/functions.php on line 5323