U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place between 8 a.m. Sunday and 8 a.m. Monday, local time, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Bomber, remotely piloted and fighter aircraft conducted eight airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, five airstrikes struck four ISIL tactical units, destroying an ISIL tank, six ISIL vehicles, an ISIL building, an ISIL staging position and an ISIL fighting position.
- Near Raqqah, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL armored personnel carrier.
- Near Kobani, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying four ISIL fighting positons and an ISIL mortar position.
Separately, near Aleppo, coalition military forces conducted an airstrike against a network of veteran al-Qaida operatives sometimes called the Khorasan Group, who are known to plot external attacks against the United States and its allies. The airstrike struck a tactical unit and destroyed a vehicle.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Attack, fighter, bomber and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 11 airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
- Near Beiji, an airstrike struck and destroyed an ISIL excavator.
- Near Fallujah, three airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit, destroying an ISIL bunker.
- Near Haditha, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL technical vehicle.
- Near Kirkuk, an airstrike struck an ISIL large tactical unit, destroying an ISIL heavy machine gun, an ISIL VBIED, an ISIL cache and striking an ISIL heavy machine gun.
- Near Makhmur, two airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, striking an ISIL fighting position and destroying an ISIL heavy machine gun, an ISIL fighting position and ISIL cache.
- Near Ramadi, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL excavator and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Sinjar, two airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit and an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL heavy machine gun and an ISIL building.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)