U.S. and coalition military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of the latest strikes, which took place on Sunday, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Bomber, fighter-attack and remotely piloted aircraft conducted nine airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Hasakah, seven airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit and five ISIL tactical units, destroying seven ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL vehicle and an ISIL armored personnel carrier.
- Near Raqqah, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Kobani, one airstrike destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Bomber, attack, fighter-attack and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 39 airstrikes in Iraq, approved by the Iraqi Ministry of Defense:
- Near Huwayjah, an airstrike struck an ISIL rocket position.
- Near Habbaniyah, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit, destroying two ISIL bunkers, an ISIL cache and an ISIL heavy machine gun.
- Near Hit, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Makhmur, an airstrike struck an ISIL rocket position.
- Near Ramadi, 29 airstrikes struck 67 ISIL staging areas, destroying two ISIL excavators, an ISIL armored personnel carrier and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Sinjar, two airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit and an ISIL tactical unit, destroying an ISIL personnel carrier, four ISIL buildings and an ISIL light machine gun.
- Near Tal Afar, four airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and an ISIL rocket position, suppressing ISIL heavy machine gun fire and destroying an ISIL fuel tanker and an ISIL building.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group's ability to project terror and conduct operations, officials said.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Bahrain, Canada, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)