On Sunday, U.S. and coalition military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported.
Officials reported details of the strikes, noting that assessments of results are based on initial reports.
Airstrikes in Syria
Remotely piloted and fighter aircraft conducted three airstrikes in Syria:
- Near Abu Kamal, an airstrike struck an ISIL training area.
- Near Raqqah, an airstrike resulted in inconclusive results.
- Near Mar’a, an airstrike suppressed an ISIL mortar system.
Airstrikes in Iraq
Bomber, fighter, fighter-attack, and remotely piloted aircraft conducted 20 airstrikes in Iraq, coordinated with and in support of the government of Iraq:
- Near Huwayjah, two airstrikes destroyed an ISIL checkpoint and an ISIL bunker.
- Near Beiji, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL building and two ISIL caches.
- Near Habbaniyah, two airstrikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed four ISIL fighting positions, an ISIL weapons cache, and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Kirkuk, three airstrikes struck three separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed an ISIL vehicle and an ISIL fighting position.
- Near Mosul, three airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL fighting position, an ISIL tunnel, and an ISIL heavy machine gun.
- Near Ramadi, four airstrikes struck a large ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL building, four ISIL fighting positions, three ISIL boats, an ISIL home-made explosive cache, and an ISIL vehicle.
- Near Sinjar, two airstrikes struck two separate ISIL tactical units and destroyed four ISIL fighting positions.
- Near Sultan Abdallah, two airstrikes destroyed an ISIL fighting position and suppressed an ISIL mortar position.
- Near Tal Afar, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
Part of Operation Inherent Resolve
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, and the wider international community.
The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the group's ability to project terror and conduct operations.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the United States, Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the United States, Australia, Bahrain, Canada, France, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates.
(Source: US Dept of Defense)