Posted on 27 February 2014 .
By John Lee.
Reuters reports that Anabela Fonseca, Sonangol board member in charge of international investments, told a news conference:
“Our presence in Iraq was as an operator in an area with much conflict. Last year we were unable to develop any work due to security matters … and so we took the decision to leave.“
The state-owned company won the right to operate the fields in 2009, taking a 75 percent stake. Reserves are estimated at about 800 million barrels for Qayara and 900 million for Najmah.
Earlier this month, the Ministry of Oil said it would not hold Sonangol to its committed schedule at the oilfields, as a result of the problems faced by the company.
(Sources: Reuters, Iraq Oil Report, Aswat al Iraq)
Dr. Mark A. DeWeaver
|Has ISIS Killed Its Golden Goose?||Ahmed Mousa Jiyad||The New Oil Production Targets|
|Ruth Lux||Baghdad’s Revenue-Sharing Deal: Avoiding a...||John Cookson||Tuesday is Next Deadline, but...|
|Madeleine White||Mobile Miracles – Educational Vision||Robert Tollast||Defying Daash in Karbala and Baghdad|
|John Schnittker||Water and Wheat: ISIS Weapons?||Tariq Abdell||Iraq: Reconciliation or Partition?|